FIDO says take me along!
Pet owners see their dogs as part of the family and feel guilt and concern when they travel without their furry companion, according to a Facebook poll conducted recently by Aramark, a provider of lodging and activities in national parks and forests throughout the United States.
A whopping 97% of dog owners polled said they will bring Fido on their family vacations, and more than 40% of pet owners said leaving their dog at home is not an option.
Dog-friendly hotels and availability of dog-friendly activities and dining are the biggest deciding factors as to whether or not people bring their dogs or not. With more than 62% of Americans having at least one dog at home, according to the Humane Society, these decisions affect millions of Americans.
The following tips and location recommendations will be helpful to your readers in planning their upcoming vacations:
- Do your research. Find out who offers pet friendly amenities and what they are.
- Keep a familiar blanket or toy with your pet to help it feel more comfortable during the trip.
- If putting your pet in a crate for travel, make sure your dog has been well exercised to burn off excess energy.
- Take your dog to the vet for a check up before going on an extended trip. Make sure all their vaccinations are up to date and take their shot records with you.
- Bring along a supply of their regular food and some local, or bottled, water. Be sure to bring any medications they need.
Also, ask whether the lodging facility has space for outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming, boating and fishing. Here are a few locations that offer pet friendly accommodations:
- Location- Arizona/Utah
- Pet friendly lodging: Hotel, camping, houseboats
- Pet friendly activities: hiking, swimming, boating, fishing
- Location: Wyoming
- Pet friendly lodging: Cabins
- Pet friendly activities: Hiking, fishing
Olympic National Park & Forest:
- Location: Washington
- Pet friendly lodging: hotel, camping
- Pet friendly activities: hiking*, swimming, boating, fishing
- (In Olympic National Forest only)
- Location: Lake Tahoe, Nevada
- Pet friendly lodging: cabins, camping
- Pet friendly activities: swimming, boating, fishing
Content supplied by Aramark Hotels.